Thursday 18 August 2011

Gasagase(Poppy Seed) payasa - Khuskhus kheer


Gasagase payasa - Khuskhus kheer

 
Gasagase payasa is a typical sweet from Karnataka. I must say this is my family favorite payasa too. On a festival, I wanted to offer god some sweet dish and this is what which struck my mind at first. 

Here goes my recipe for the traditional typical sweet from Karnataka.

I should say that the proportions mentioned here are ideal for a starter. In case you fail, dont worry as you have used up very little ingredients and you can always cheer yourself saying "Let me try again :)". I am sure you would love it.

Ingredients: Serves two people

Gasagase (or Khuskhus) 3 spoons

Grated dry coconut - 2 spoons

Powdered Jaggery - 4 - 5 spoons (5 spoons is normal sweet for me. 6 spoons according to me is very sweet. 4 could be normal in case your sweet intake is moderate or low)

raw rice - 3 spoons

Milk - 1 cup

water - 1/2 cup

Dry grapes - about 30gms

cashew nuts - about 30 gms

ghee - about 2 spoons

Method:

Dry fry gasagase (khuskhus) in a pan untill it turns light brown and gives out good aroma.

Now spread this over a plate.

Dry fry raw rice until it turns light brown.

Spread the rice over a plate. Allow it to cool down.

Now mix rice, gasagase, coconut and add 1/2 cup water and grind it to a paste.


In a pan add ghee and bring it to heat. Add cashew nuts. When the nuts start changing colour add dry grapes and fry them. As soon as the grapes start blowing up, add about 1/4 cup water.


Add the jaggery and stir. Keep stirring until the jaggery dissolves.

Now add the paste and boil.

When this cools down, you can add milk and serve.

The traditional way of consuming includes drinking this (either hot/cold)

This dish can also be refrigerated and served as cold dessert. 

Ain't that simple? Give it a try and let me know how helpful it is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment